Understanding unfamiliar software is hard, and it can take up to six months to bring a new developer up to speed on a team’s codebase. In my research, I’m addressing this issue by analysing onboarding sessions from both commercial and academic software development teams.
- How do experts represent the code to the newcomer?
- How do experts support newcomers in locating information?
- How do experts support newcomers in making contributions?
- What are the problems with onboarding sessions that reduce their value?
- How can onboarding sessions be improved?