Dr. Ing. Klaas-Jan Stol is a Research Fellow with Lero, the Irish Software Research Centre. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Information and Communication Technology from the Hanzehogeschool Groningen, a master’s degree in software engineering from the University of Groningen, and a PhD degree from the University of Limerick. His research interests include Open Source Software, Inner Source, agile and lean software development methodologies, research methodology and theory building. His work has been published in several journals, including the ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), Information & Software Technology, and IEEE Software, and conferences such as the International Conference on Software Engineering and the International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE). He has served as a reviewer for various journals and conferences. He co-chaired the Doctoral Consortium at the Open Source Systems conference in 2012 and 2013 as well as the Doctoral Symposium at EASE 2014.
- Stol K, Ralph P and Fitzgerald B (2016) Grounded Theory in Software Engineering Research: A Critical Review and Guidelines. Proc. 38th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE). Austin, TX, USA.
- Stol K and Fitzgerald B (2015) Theory-Oriented Software Engineering, Science of Computer Programming (Special Issue on GTSE). vol. 101.
- Michlmayr M, Fitzgerald B, Stol K (2015) Why and How Should Open Source Projects Adopt Time-Based Releases?, IEEE Software, Vol. 32 (2), Special Issue on Release Engineering (March/April issue 2015)
- Stol K and Fitzgerald B (2014) Two’s Company, Three’s a Crowd: A Case Study of Crowdsourcing Software Development, International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) Hyderabad, India.
- Stol K, Avgeriou P, Babar MA, Lucas Y and Fitzgerald B (2014) Key Factors for Adopting Inner Source, to appear in ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM).
- Fitzgerald B, Stol K, O’Sullivan R and O’Brien D (2013) Scaling Agile Methods to Regulated Environments: An Industry Case Study, International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) Software Engineering in Practice track.
Dr. Ing. Klaas-Jan Stol
Lero–The Irish Software Engineering Research Centre
University of Limerick
Tierney Building, Room T3-020